Thursday, November 22, 2012

Food banks running low on food -- stock up at home while you still can!

Given that this blog is still getting several hundred visitors a month despite my not having posted anything since May, I just saw this post on Zerohedge.com that I think deserves to be reposted here. Food banks across the country are running low on food, a problem that is being compounded by the drought that much of the U.S. suffered this year. If you're waiting to stock up, you might not be able to find affordable food later -- and food banks might not be able to help you. Here's a little food for thought:

www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-22/food-banks-us-running-low-supplies-ominous-sign-2013

Have a wonderful and thanks-filled Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I love your back ground photo and just found your site and have added it to my list of favorites. I have a question though. This past year I lost about 3/4 of my short term storage items due to the little pantry moths. All I saw was a couple flying around and then found that their young..larvea...had drilled holes into all of my bags and boxes and filled the interior with moisture, webs, and fecal matter. I threw it all out as I had no chickens at the time to give it to. I didn't know where they came from until I went in to buy dog food at the big local pet supply store and saw them flying among the dry dog food isle. Can you do a post to address this and how to handle this if you have an infestation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your moth problems! I had moth problems with the first bags of rice and beans I bought several years ago, but since that time I've put all dry bulk items such as those in cold and/or frozen storage for a day or so to kill any bugs and larvae. It would be good to vacuum-seal dry items in mylar bags and then store those bags in buckets that have lids on them. I'm curious to know what specific items you threw away and how you had them stored. Care to provide details? :)

    ReplyDelete