Saturday, May 7, 2011

Breakfast from our food storage

My family has basically two levels of food storage--what we normally eat and have a lot of in our kitchen and extended pantry, and what we normally eat and have EVEN MORE of in what I've heard referred to as our deep larder. And it just makes sense that for your food storage, you should stock up large quantities of what you normally eat anyway, because why would you stock up on stuff you don't eat??

So with that in mind, having plenty of food on hand has paid off this past week while I've still been jobless (but praise the Lord, I start a new job Tuesday!), because even though we've had very little cash to spare the past couple weeks, we haven't had to set foot in a grocery store because we have plenty of food to draw from.

Some people might think "food storage" sounds boring and not especially tasty, but if you're storing what you normally eat anyway, why shouldn't it be? So I thought I'd share a photo of breakfast this morning--oatmeal with dehydrated banana chips (I buy my banana chips at BulkFoods.com). Add a touch of honey, and talk about a yummy breakfast!


7 comments:

  1. a local store sells dehydrated fruit in bulk. Just curious.. do you rehydrate your fruit? If so, does it taste similar to fresh? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't rehydrate the fruit per se, I just either eat it straight out of a mason jar or mylar bag (depending on what I have it stored in) or, as in the case of the banana chips in the above photo, I stir them into whatever I'm cooking. I haven't tried incorporating dehydrated fruit into cookies or breads yet, but it seems like a tasty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to answer your other question, the flavor of dehydrated foods in general is typically more intense because the food item itself is concentrated when the water is taken out. If you decide to buy bulk fruit from your local store, post the results of your taste-tests here and let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for your new job! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Andrea! The Lord provides for His children, but we have to be diligent in our work as well. I'll keep you posted on how things are going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried dehydrating your own fruits? It's very easy to do and much more economical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Andrea, thank you for the encouragement!

    @SciFiChick, I mostly dehydrate my own apples, but BulkFoods.com's prices on bananas are much cheaper than what it would take for me to dehydrate mass quantities of bananas on my own. About $2 a pound for already-dehydrated banana chips is a really great price, IMO, and given the difficulty in dehydrating high-sugar foods (since the naturally-occurring sugar gets really gooey when it's heated), I'm OK with buying them instead of making them myself. I dehydrate just about everything else that's not fruit, though. :)

    ReplyDelete